Random stories from a Kingston girl

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Food glorious food

Now without wanting to sound like a hungry belly, I'm going to do a review of my food from the weekend because it was a good food weekend! And I'm having to put in some extra hours at the gym this week to make up for it...

Friday as you all know was lunch at coffee mill. Their frappes are heavenly and their smoked marlin bagels are out of this world. I just love that place, it is so calm and mellow depite being right in the middle of New Kingston. Shame about the parking though...

Friday night I kinda skipped food. Gin and Tonics and birthday cake provided all the sustenance that I needed! I was too busy talking and laughing to eat food, a great time was had by all. (Although looking back at the photos now, I didn't realise quite how precarious my new dress was on top - no wonder all the guys loved it!)

Saturday morning the man was at a golf tournament so I was required to smile sweetly at people which have pre-lunch drinks there. Then it was lunch with the girls at Restaurant East, our favourite lunch spot. It's a gorgeous Japanese restaurant with good service and great food. Although I had one misfortune - I enjoyed the food so much that I was unable to eat most of my dessert! Sushi, teryaki chicken... mmmmm

Saturday evening I was supposed to go to a friend's birthday party, but I skipped it... stayed in bed instead... (and someone needs to tell me how to use iconthingys in blogger as I wanted to put in a nice wink!) Apparently the jerk there was excellent though!

Sunday I was taken to Cafe Aubergine for lunch. Although they have just opened a branch in Kingston, we decided that it was a good day for a drive out so headed out of town - it's in Monegue on the way to Ochi, the drive takes just over an hour. The hills were looking good and the trucks weren't on the road so it was a good journey. And it was totally worth it. The food was excellent - stuffed crabs, salmon in dill sauce and lemon mousse with a really nice bottle of chardonnay...mmm.... The only problem was staying awake on the drive home!

And the weekend was finished with homemade melted cheese on toast - perfect sunday evening food!

So now I'm looking forward to the Kingston Restaurant Week which is coming soon, an excellent opportunity to try out all those places you've been meaning to go but haven't quite made it to yet!

11 Comments:

  • At 2:37 pm, Blogger Island Spice said…

    *sigh* oh how I miss Eastern Japanese for a good girls lunch.. And Cafe Aubergine .. LOVE that place! Whoever took you has good taste .. *wink wink* How is the one in Kingston? Sounds like an excellent birthday.
    When is restaurant week?

     
  • At 2:48 pm, Blogger Kingston Girl said…

    Well, spice, older men have good taste *wink wink*!

    Haven't eaten at the kingston aubergine yet - reports I've heard are good and the atmosphere is nice when i've been for drinks.

    The date hasn't been released yet for restaurant week but i think it's being launched this week.

     
  • At 4:32 pm, Anonymous cooldestiny said…

    I sooo want to go to Cafe Aubergine. Never been and now you make me want to go even more. Yep, sounds like you did put on about 3lbs there.... gym, gym, gym.

     
  • At 6:46 am, Blogger Gela's Words said…

    I've been to Cafe Aubergine in Moneague, haven't been to the Kingston one as yet. Isn't there a third Japanese restaurant in Kingston that I heard about last week? I've been to the other two and I too like Coffee Mill. Was planning to go there yesterday but when I remember the parking nightmare, I skipped.

    Oh yeah, restaurant week coming up, good opportunity to check out some restaurants that I haven't been to. I haven't been to Mac's chophouse as yet. Has anyone been there?

     
  • At 11:36 am, Blogger Guyana-Gyal said…

    My goodness, Kingston certainly is bubbling even more! I don't remember some of those restaurants and clubs and everything being there before I left.

     
  • At 12:54 pm, Blogger Island Spice said…

    @ Gela: I've been to Mac's. The steak is EXCELLENT!! The decor and service are also good. I think it is really not as overpriced as people make it out to be. A good steak in other places would cost about the same.
    That blog we were gonna start about older men, we can call it 'the finer things' and throw in some restaurant and wine reviews..

     
  • At 2:08 pm, Blogger Kingston Girl said…

    I'm on for co-writing that blog... wine, restaurants, older men.

    We nearly forgot chocolate!!

     
  • At 10:47 pm, Blogger Gela's Words said…

    GG, listen, it sounds like you're more than due for a Jamaican trip. We've gotten very sophisticated you know, everybody eats out nowadays. I know Madbull soon plan a next blogger linkup, yu betta come for that one.

     
  • At 9:44 am, Blogger Dr. D. said…

    Sounds like you really got some good eating done there KG.

    I must try out one of the Aubergine locations soon.

    I hear that there is one at the corner of Merrivale Ave. and Mannings Hill Rd. that isn't bad either....forgot the name...any of you been to that one?

     
  • At 9:27 pm, Blogger Mad Bull said…

    I want to plan a little thing over here... lessee there is RI, Trouble, Mighty Afroditee, Tom Cayman et al, and of course, Cayman Blogman. Thats enough for a little lyme, nuh true?

     
  • At 8:11 pm, Blogger Island Man said…

    CARIBLINKZ.COM is your one stop shop to everything Caribbean. We have finally found away to bring all of the great and exciting features of the Caribbean to your computer screen. With CARIBLINKZ.com you'll find everything from Politics and Government organizations to Restaurants and Culture and so much more.

    Planning a trip or just curious here is your way to become a tourist in the comfort of your own home or to just refresh and update your current knowledge. CARIBLINKZ.com provides you with exclusively Caribbean content that ensures to keep you informed. So add CARIBLINKZ.com to your favourites because when you have something that you need to find in the Caribbean you'll already have the ONLY link that you'll ever need. Search-Find-Connect.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home